Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Dating Game, Part One

Boy, everything seems to be a game of some sort these days at the 4ECon, doesn't it? This one really is a game, though... of some kind... I'm not lying this time...
...For the most part...

Let's pretend you're single. I think this applies to a little more than half of my known readers, so this should be easy. If you're not single, pretend that your current partner suddenly became your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend.

First, think of the last (or current) girl/guy you dated and score him or her on a scale of 0 to 10, with 10 being the best of whatever it is you think you're looking for in a partner. You should put some thought into all the dimensions that define best or worst, of course. For example, If the last person you dated was the most amazing person you could imagine in terms of intellectuality or emotional stability (10 out of 10 on this scale), or something along those lines, but was also completely disgustingly physically repulsive (0 out of 10 on this scale), you could rate him or her a 5 out of 10, or weight one proportionally more than another, etc. Make sense? Average some numbers, think of all the important dimensions, make some crap up - you'll figure it out. We're basically looking to translate your opinion of your ex's overall attractiveness into a number. Remember this number.

Next, try to figure out the third-person perspective of that person. How do you think your former girl/boyfriend does on the dating market? Are other people clamoring to date this person, or are they desperately and permanently single? More importantly, how would other people rate him or her on our scale of 0 to 10? Put some thought into this. If it helps, try to think of your "average person," (of your gender) and imagine how he or she would rate your ex.

Before we continue, I should point out that it will help if you're honest. If the last girl or guy you dated was below average looking or intelligence, you should probably end up with numbers below 5. I know there's a propensity to use numbers greater than 5 on 0-to-10 scales, so just try to be honest. If your ex was an ugly moron, don't take it personally and give 'em a 2.

So, are the two numbers the same? Did you score your ex a '7' on your personal scale, but a '5' on the public perception scale, or is it reversed? Whatever your answers were, take the first number and subtract the second. (In my example, that would be 7 - 5 = 2). I'm going to call this new number your "Ex Perception Differential."


Now the hard part:

First, try to rate yourself on your personal scale. Whatever you think your obvious good parts are, or whatever the benefits of your ability to hide your flaws, rate your personality, your looks, your intelligence, your temperament, all of it on a scale of 0 to 10. Get a 7 on looks, did ya? Get a 8 on intelligence, did ya? Give yourself a 6 on honesty, did ya? It sounds like you'll end up averaging to a 7, then. Get the picture? Try to think of all the important spectra of your personal dateability, weight the ones you believe are more important higher, and figure out a number.

Second, you need to rate yourself from a new perspective: Imagine a member of the opposite sex that is gorgeous, intelligent, decent and interested in things that matter - basically, imagine a '10' on the public-perception-of-overall-attractiveness scale, especially in the looks department. Is the image of this person firmly in your head? Good - now here's the question: How would this person rate you on a scale of 0 to 10 if he or she had four minutes to meet you/get to know you? In other words, how would the best-looking and most attractive person you and your friends and family have ever seen in your lives rate you on an attractiveness scale after a four-minute speed date? Try to use averages here, if necessary, and be brutally honest.

OK, now are those two numbers the same? Wildly different? Did you rate yourself higher than or lower than the imaginary hottest-person-in-the-world did? Again, take the first number and subtract the second. If you gave yourself a '6,' for example, and your imaginary critic gave you '3', or something along those lines, you'd get a +3 for the "Self Perception Differential."





Now it's time to play with the numbers. There are a lot of blanket claims I could make, but I'm going to try to limit them (like the fact that single people are more likely to have negative differentials - or so I would say if I weren't avoiding making too many claims... Besides, I could be proven wrong by some anomalous but vocal reader.)

First, remember your Ex Perception Differential. This is the difference between how you rated your ex-girl/boyfriend and how the public does. Positive numbers mean you thought your ex had good qualities that your Average Joe or Jane wouldn't see. Negative numbers mean the opposite; that your ex was hiding her negative attributes from the public, which only become obvious after some amount of dating... (This is why I'd assume people who are actually single will get negative Ex Perception numbers and people who are just pretending to be single for the sake of the game will get more positive numbers. There is some bias, obviously, when it comes to who you are or are not stuck with.)

Now the "Self Perception Differential." A negative number (rating yourself lower than a super-attractive person would rate you) is probably pretty uncommon. I can't think of anyone who really thinks they are, personally, more attractive on "the outside" than they are "deep down." If you got a negative number on this, I'd be interested to hear your reasoning.

However, a large positive Self Perception Differential - say 2 or greater - should signal one, or both, of the following:

A) You are relatively unattractive physically and/or are extremely shy (and people know it.)

B) You are lying to yourself, at least a little, about your overall attractiveness.

...

These are my claims.

Any arguments?


(This link is relevant this time, by the way)

We'll save the implications for Part Two, after I've had some time to figure 'em out. For those who may be interested, I'm trying to figure out some sort of algorithm that'll determine exactly what kind of person you should "resign yourself" to date. In other words, some of our standards (mine, specifically) may be too high, all things considered, and maybe your standards are too low - I figured it's time to be honest with ourselves, and if we're going to be honest, we might as well include some quantitative sociology and develop some strategies, right?

If anyone can develop any kind of formula based on any sort of numerical ranking (the numbers in this post included or not) that can somehow extract honesty and determine what type [ranking] of person (based on the same scale[s]) someone "should" be dating before I do, they will get a prize. Don't worry, you can be pretty vague and make a lot of assumptions - that's how I do things.

Also, if anyone is curious, my Ex Perception Differential is -3 and my Self Perception Differential is +2. How about you?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is all inconsequential since I am happily married, but, I am horrible when it comes to first impressions. How does that figure into your ratings here? Maybe that is just naturally a part of being ugly on the inside and the outside so that factor is included naturally.

I say this because your ratings probably relate to other areas of life besides sexy dating - like job interviews and such.

Disposable Info said...

Not positive what you mean by 'being ugly,' but you're right: Even if you're not actively looking for dates or simply reassurance from the opposite sex, there's still a possible gain or loss from your level of confidence in other areas - Job interviews especially.

As a jobless bachelor, I've been spending a lot of time trying to figure out optimal strategies for both areas. I'd have to say, they're pretty intertwined - if you can sell yourself to an important employer, you can probably get a date pretty easily, know what I mean?

...

And Zane, even though you're married, I'm dying to know what your "differentials" are - I'm guessing that if you add up the two numbers (The 'Ex' and the 'Self'), they'd be between +3 and +6. Am I right?

...Don't let my guess bias your answer... :)

Anonymous said...

That's creepy, my number comes right inbetween that. I must say though, I married quite a catch.

Disposable Info said...

Agreed - though I must admit I knew that you knew what you know. For the record. :)

Anonymous said...

+2 and +2. Although I didn't do any weighting based on things I think are important or things society thinks are important.

Disposable Info said...

That's cool, I'd assume instincts are as valid, if not more so, than trying to figure out unknowns...

I'm glad you mentioned your 'results,' Gretchen - I was actually kinda curious what you would say.

Unknown said...

Well, I got a -3, +4. I actually feel bad admitting that - it seems that my numbers seem quite higher than the rest...does this mean I'm full of myself? Maybe thats why I'm a lone wolf...hmmm...

Disposable Info said...

Actually, I'm surprised not by the -3 (I'd have guessed that your ex would land in a range similar to mine - blond, too) but by the +4...

You really think that some hot, amazing model-type girl would think so much less of you than you do of yourself? Nah, nah - you're totally dateable, dude. I think you're over-estimating your competition.

You're welcome.

You did remind me of an interesting factor, though: Single people might be misinterpreting the reason that they're single. That's interesting... Maybe being sexless for too long makes people more likely to think less of their physical qualities, but not of their "internal" qualities.

*OR* maybe they lose touch with who they're really competing with for mates by not having a member of the opposite sex around all the time. This seems like a flimsier explanation, though.

I'm not sure which category I fall into. Maybe both...

Anonymous said...

wait a second, you were wrong. I had -2 and +3. what was I thinking?

going back, that fits a little better.

however, my question again about bad first impression syndrome would alter those numbers slightly, I think.

Disposable Info said...

No kiddin'?

Interesting... So it appears there's less of a marriage bias in the Ewton household...

If you're wondering what I mean, replace "marriage bias" with "stuck-with-this-person bias."

Anonymous said...

I'm horribly confused.

Disposable Info said...

What I meant was that I expected people who are "stuck" with each other (AKA in a committed relationship) to score their mate higher on a "personal opinion" scale than a "public opinion" scale.

In other words, I figured there'd be a bias to think better of your mate than other people do [in your perception of their opinion, that is.]

I called it a bias, by the way, because I figured people's opinions would be shaped by their inability to look negatively on someone they're currently dating (or married to!) AKA "stuck-with-this-person" bias.


...I'm obviously ignoring the "Dave-is-full-of-crap" bias, though, as you probably already knew.