Thursday, May 8, 2008

4Play

OK, so it's been since April 18th. What's today? The seventh of May?! Hory clap. I figured it's about time I tell the two people I know that this blog is not dying. It's just adapting while I get settled.

So here's a personal update for all ye 4E knowin' types:

I'm enjoying the hell out of living in DC. I've got a job that is turning out to be pretty interesting and reasonably useful, a girlfriend that's just tops, a group of friends that are incredibly entertaining, working knowledge of almost all of the square area between Connecticut & T Street Northwest and the Capitol Building, I weigh substantially less than I did when I sat on my ass all day in Tucson, I've developed an overwhelming preference for pretentious beverages like Amber beers and Mead wine, and I've started using text messaging as an actual means of communication.

...Turns out there actually are times when text messaging is more useful and convenient than dialing the phone. Those homosexuals I knew in college were right.


Now back to business.

- Gamepaign 2008 is not dead either. As I've been thinking for months but never writing, I'm waiting for the Democrats to have a candidate. As soon as they do, there will be an endless river of my political opinions flowing into your eye sockets. Probably. Probably into your eye sockets, I mean, not probably there will be a river.

- I will return to posting stupid blog posts the minute I have slightly fewer things to do with my now-limited free time. I have to get used to this crazy 9 to 5 schedule, ya know? I mean, it's hard to get enough sleep and wake up at 7:30 in the morning when you're so used to drinking all night and waking up on the front lawn at three in the afternoon the next day. At least I would assume it would be hard.

- In the mean time, all you 4ECon Readin' Types should be reading good blogs. Some totally cute girl recently asked me for a list of my 5 favorite blogs written by people I don't know personally. Even though Foreecon's target demographic is balding, quasi-Libertarian intellectuals with
too much free time and not "totally cute girls," I've decided to publish a list of my 5 favorite blogs that I think well rounded totally cute girls (and possibly others) should be reading. Here's my most favoritest blogs in my Google Reader in no particular order:


Physics arXiv
This blog is the bitchinest piece of bitchinosity I've ever bi... read. If you don't love it, I don't like you or your bitchy attitude!

Overcoming Bias
Best statistics/philosophy/economics blog in existence. Sooooooooooo good, it blows my mind into my booties on a weekly basis. I'm serious, you will be shocked.

The Undercover Economist
Most readable economics blog in the blorld. If you don't appreciate economics and economists now, read this blog. You will appreciate economists so much that you will soon find yourself looking for one to perform fellatio on. In bed. There's your horoscope, Scorpio.

Marginal Revolution
Slightly heavier on the econ. It is fantastic. Tyler Cowen is my favorite person in existence right now, and has been for almost a year. In fact, when I grow up, I will be Tyler Cowen.

Dr. Buttery's Public Health Blog
That's actually his name. I think that's an anti-aptonym. I can't get enough of this blog for some reason - It's nice to read stuff outside of your usual field of interest, ya know? Check it out, you'll find a bunch of commentary on recent medical studies and their impact/importance/etc.

Belligerati
Incredibly rounded and well written. This has got to be my favorite variety blog. It's excellent. Absolutely excellent.


There ya are. There's my list of fivsix blogs you absolutely must be reading. Go read 'em.

---

OK, that's it. I'll see you all real soon-like. Real soon. Ish. Soon enough.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hot dang, Dave! I am glad everything's going so well.

Anonymous said...

Bayes's Theorem! I totally derived that once in that statistics course with the crazy Israeli professor who made me sit in front of the class and write a paper on why I was late. I also hadn't revisited it until I read about it just now on this here "Overcoming Bias" you recommended.

Do you think it's possible that one could be balding and still be a totally cute girl at the same time?

Disposable Info said...

Thanks Zane - Hopefully you guys can come over to this part of the country some day and we'll hang out. Big time.

Gretchen: I always thought what's her face, Sinead O'Conner, was totally cute while bald. Actually, more hot, less cute. So I don't know, actually. I think one must transition from totally cute to totally hot if one faces extreme circumstances...

Also, I hope you blamed complex probabilities and whatnot for your lateness when you wrote that paper. You did, right?

Anonymous said...

I wish I would have thought of blaming complex probabilities for my lateness. I don't recall the reason I was late, but I had to write the paper and take notes on the lecture at the same time. Thus, my paper was probably pretty short and lame since taking notes in those classes required some insane concentration.