Thursday, August 9, 2007

Declaration of Interdependence

Hey folks – I’ve decided to blog it up. Or deblog it, rather. For two reasons:



A. I'm not the kind of person that can provide a log of my daily, or even weekly, life to an unknown audience.

B. I am the kind of person that will argue with anyone who questions my assertions.

So I'm going to deblog instead. Here's my story:

---

Since I emerged from the indoctrination program at the U of A, I’ve had an overwhelming desire to apply “economic logic” to absolutely everything I come across. Define “economic logic,” you say? That’ll come later… I’ve also had an extreme need to argue with everything and everyone, especially the TV, over matters of logic, religion, politics and public policy and anything related to economics. Since the TV doesn’t seem to care that I’m debating it, I’ve decided that the best way to allow this desire to play itself out is to get on the internet and instigate arguments, er, debates, with actual humans. In 'log' form, no less.

---

So, as my first post is dedicated to justifying – to myself – why I should be speaking (typing) into the wwvoid, I’ll run down my reasons. I’m thinking that bloggin’ ought to have a few benefits for me – and my ego:

1. It gives me an audience – real or imagined – that will force me to justify all my thoughts, words and actions. If I allow my brain to be my only critic, I’ll never get anything done with all the confidence-lubed masturbating (real and imagined...).

2. It widens my debate group. Currently, the only arguments I have are with my parents and my television. I know my roommate, The Guz, is getting tired of listening politely while I press pause on the TiVo during almost every show and explain why something or other is illogical or just plain wrong, or a blatant lie… etcetera…

3. It will allow me to use vernacalisms that may or may not consist of real English words, which ought to be pretty funny, while also increasing my writing skills and proper usage of real words.

4. It’ll let me spread “the love” that I so often come across on the internet and make priceless commentary about important stuff, such as:

http://www.timecube.com

"If you’re going to visit just one polygon-shaped-earth- theory-website this summer, make it this one”

5. Most importantly, it gives me a somewhat-legitimate reason to actually research interesting crap, specifically economics / politics / policy crap, which I find myself doing anyway…

So, in the tradition of countless other assholes who think their opinion matters enough to put them online... And in the tradition of awesome blogging economists whose opinions matter so much that the internet isn’t doing them any justice… I hereby embark on a lame quest to argue with everyone on topics of my choosing and to expose my own flaws and arrogance to the two or three people I know that just might follow this deblog, er, debatin' web log.

---

I feel a little immodest doing all this, by the way.

...If I die of hubris poisoning, tell my friends...
...I always thought they were wrong...


-Dave Foree

No comments: